Translate

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Know thy weaknesses

So I am now on day three of my quest and I have already been faced with some challenges. Here is how I handled them. I went to the library and checked out some fitness books. In one of the books there was a quiz. The quiz told me about the reasons I eat. I scored highest in the Emotional Eater and the Mindless Eater categories. It makes so much sense. I eat when I am happy or depressed. I also tend to steal bites here and there when cooking or at social events. I tend to have a big appetite which will be the most challenging during this quest. But knowing my weaknesses is one step to a healthier me. Be sure to check out some helpful links at the end of this post.

I know I like to feel satisfied and full at the same time. So I am looking to find foods that will keep me fuller longer. Asking myself which calories are worth it to me. Keeping a food/activity log is helpful to keep me aware of what I am doing and eating.

Day Two:
Breakfast: coffee w/ 2 teaspoons raw sugar, 2 Tablespoons of goat milk = 58 calories
loaded veggie 1 egg omelet and mini blueberry/oat smoothie
Breakfast Total - 318 calories

Awesome Leftover-Turkey Soup ONLY 185 calories
Lunch: Awesome Leftover-Turkey Soup
 (I made this quick soup with 2 chopped celery stocks, 1/2 cup of chopped peppers/onions, 1 cup of california blend frozen veggies, 2 cups of veggie broth, 2 oz of turkey) This soup was only 185 and it was so filling I split it with my daughter.  I also had some kombucha and a 8 wheat crackers.
Approx. Lunch Total 300 (because I split the soup)

CHALLENGE ONE: Dropped the kids off at the library to do schoolwork and I took the time to do a 15 minute brisk walk. I tried to go longer but with all the water I have been drinking  . . . I needed to quickly walk back to the library. LESSON LEARNED- GO POTTY BEFORE WALKING

Snack: Green Tea w/ Honey and turmeric
1/4 cup of homemade unsweetened apple sauce sprinkled with cinnamon (which helps with blood sugar)
1 brown rice cake with 1 Tablespoon of natural peanut butter
Snack Total = 136 calories

CHALLENGE TWO: Supper became a quick challenge. We usually film a local t.v. for a woman and she treats us to pizza. It got cancelled and of course I had not prepared supper. The kids begged for pizza. We ordered their usual and I calculated a salad (look below for a cool salad calculator I found). I also had 1 slice of cheese pizza . . . if I deprived myself I would not last long on this quest. I was happy at the end I filled my craving and was still within my calorie intake for the day.

CHALLENGE THREE: Rob teased me about my diet and tempted me with my favorite creamy garlic dressing. I quickly called him a diet sabotager as I poured my lite-Italian on my salad. ( Note: he felt really bad about teasing me and called from work today to apologize and say how proud of me he was . . . I knew he was teasing me . . . but it was a good example of how we can let others around us effect our ability to succeed at something.)
Supper Total = 643

Day Two Total = 1403 calories

Awesome product.
Adds protein and flavor
to smoothies
without a lot of calories!
Day Three:
Breakfast: I drank my coffee black so I could add honey to my smoothie (learning to make these trade-offs will pay-off, this is not a have your cake and eat it too quest!)
Smoothie
with goat milk, honey, oats and an awesome thing I found at BJ's PBfit. PBfit is an all natural peanut butter powder. It is made with dried peanuts and somehow they extract the oils so it has less calories but still the same amount of protein.
Breakfast Total - 298 calories

Lunch: Last day of turkey left-overs salad, with homemade croutons I made with homemade bread (a know bread is calorie dense -but it was well worth it), olive oil and garlic.
Lunch Total - 419 calories

It was raining today so I went over to my neighbor's house to do Just Dance on their XBox. I had so much fun. The kids stayed home and made cookies of course! Did it for 30 mins.  . .  estimated calorie burn = 300 calories

Snack:
2 small gingerbread cookies (which are the least calorie cookie you can chose from)
Green tea w/ honey and turmeric
Snack total = 122

I whipped up some pasta for the family and I left aside a small portion for myself. I tossed my pasta with garlic and 1oz of turkey. I filled myself with Curried Squash Soup.
Supper Total - 430

Day Three Total = 1269

Now I am off to Choir Practice . . . and feeling great!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! It's a constant battle, I know. I also have a big appetite. I find that staying off the computer & moving more is very helpful - I try to move alot throughout the day. I get my (1-mile) walk & rosary in 1st thing in the morning (yes, 5:30 a.m.!) so everything else is extra. Also, I order salad whenever we go out to eat (even at McDonalds) & snacks are fruits, veggies, or yogurt. We eat a ton of soup. beans & salad, with meat as a flavoring. I eat very little in the way of pasta or bread - just a taste on the side. Desserts are 1 cookie or a small slice of something on Sundays - although I will "cheat" during the week with a piece of dark chocolate. I find that keeping it simple makes it all more sustainable. Hope that helps! Sending you diet prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter,
    Thanks so much for all your tips and prayers!

    ReplyDelete